Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Braided Bead Bracelets

Hello! So it's been awhile since I posted any projects, but this is because I've mainly been working on crocheting a blanket and some scarves as presents. But when I came across this cute DIY tutorial on making braided bead bracelets, I just had to make some right away! All of the supplies she used can be purchased online, but I didn't feel like waiting and paying for shipping. Some readers commented that they found supplies at Hobby Lobby, but I don't have any of those stores near me. So I headed to my local Michael's and Jo-Ann to see what materials I could get by with...

...and now I can present to you the
"Alternative Braided Bead Bracelet Made With Easily-Accessible Materials"!
(great title, right?)

Here's what you'll need:
  • From Michael's: cording (I used bamboo cording, but it's a little soft) and 8-0 or 6-0 gold/bronze/silver beads
  • From Jo-Ann: gold buttons (about 0.5-inch diameter)
  • Other: Clear nail polish, scissors, ruler
Next, just follow the directions from this tutorial: http://honestlywtf.com/diy/diy-beaded-bracelet
**The one important step that I added was coating the ends of the cording in clear nail polish. Using nail polish is a neat little trick that allows you to use almost any cording you want, without worrying about the ends fraying. Using waxed cording makes this step unnecessary but that stuff is so hard to find in typical craft stores!


The finished product:


No comments:

Post a Comment