Thursday, June 7, 2012

Tutorial: Squeaky Dog Toy



If you have a very small dog like me, you've probably watched him/her struggle to fit their tiny mouths around toys designed for average-sized dogs. Even when I buy smaller dog toys, my Yorkshire Terrier has trouble finding the squeaker inside - his absolute favorite part. So I decided to make him a custom toy, perfectly sized and with an easily accessible squeaker inside. It's not very fancy - just simple and functional. Since this toy is quite soft, it definitely would NOT work well for medium-large dogs, or even small dogs that are vigorous chewers. 


I made this super spontaneously and failed to take photos, but it's very straightforward.
1. Cut out your pieces of fabric: 2 rectangles for the body, 2 small strips for the ears.
2. Optional: Embroider some eyes on one of the rectangles
3. Make the ears by folding the small strips in half, sewing down the sides, and turning them inside out.
4. Place the 2 rectangles together, right sides facing each other. Sew together 3 sides of the body, adding the ears at the top. Leave the bottom open. Turn inside out.
5. Through the bottom opening, add some stuffing and a squeaker. I didn't add too much stuffing because I wanted the squeaker to be as easy to find as possible for my dog.
6. Fold in the bottom, iron, and sew shut. 
7. Let your small dog go to town!


My dog Comet enjoying his toy. 



No comments:

Post a Comment